If you’re moving to Morris County for the first time and wondering which city is right for you, there is more to consider besides home values especially if you have a family. After you explore the local resources, culture and transportation options available in the different areas of Morris County, knowing each city’s property tax rate versus local school performance can be the deciding factor in which neighborhood is right for you. It may come as a surprise to know that the city with the highest property tax does not always have the high school with the highest SAT score.
- East Hanover – Tax: $3002 SAT: 1632
- Chatham TWP – Tax: $3565 SAT: 1763
- Madison – Tax: $3,653 SAT: 1730
- Morris – Tax: $3613 SAT: 1617
- Montville – Tax: $4181 SAT: 1683
*Please see the formula used below to calculate the tax amount.
What Our Research Shows
Again, as we’ve seen with Union and Essex counties, the town with the highest property taxes such as Mount Olive ($5792) has one of the lowest SAT scores at 1574 from the local high school (Mount Olive High). The highest SAT score in the county comes from The Academy for Math, Science and Engineering in Rockaway with a score of 2077 and an average estimated property tax of $4752.
2010 Morris County Education Budget Cuts
How is your town going to be affected by the cuts to Education? Take a look below at each town in alphabetical order:
District Change in Aid
- Boonton Town -70.9%
- Boonton TWP -81.7%
- Butler Boro -39.8%
- Chester TWP -70.1%
- Denville TWP -74.8%
- Dover Town -08.6%
- East Hanover TWP -84.3%
- Florham Park Boro -94.3%
- Hanover Park Regional -100.0%
- Hanover TWP -83.6%
- Harding TWP -100.0%
- Jefferson TWP -15.9%
- Kinnelon Boro -74.3%
- Lincoln Park Boro -46.7%
- Long Hill TWP -74.3%
- Madison Boro -100%
- Mendham Boro -100%
- Mendham TWP -99.7%
- Mine Hill TWP -16.5%
- Montville TWP -99.0%
- Morris County Voc -51.4%
- Morris Hills Regional -39.2%
- Morris Plains Boro -80.2%
- Morris School District -56.4%
- Mount Arlington Boro -64.0%
- Mount Olive TWP -22.3%
- Mountain Lakes Boro -100%
- Netcong Boro -18%
- Parsippany-Troy Hills TWP -85.4%
- Pequannock TWP -60.7%
- Randolph TWP -26.1%
- Riverdale Boro -83.2%
- Rockaway Boro -58.1%
- Rockaway TWP -62.5%
- Roxbury TWP -22.4%
- Sch Dist of the Chathams -86.3%
- Washington TWP -23.2%
- West Morris Regional -42.2
- Wharton Boro -9.0%
(more news on the NJ Education Budget Cuts)
What do you take away from this information?
Obviously there has been a tremendous amount of media coverage, interest, comments as well as concern on this subject… What is your opinion? We’d like to know. Please share your thoughts and comments below. This is your opportunity to be your town’s local spokesperson!
To search for available properties in these cities, please visit our Morris County Property Search page.
Send me an email or call me immediately at 201-988-1393 for a personal and confidential conversation. Whether you’re considering buying or selling, we can help.
- SAT scores are not the only student performance indicator. For more information, including state test scores (High School Proficiency Assessment results) for each high school, please visit NJ Department of Education.
- *Calculation used to determine an average tax amount: average assessed home value of $250,000 x general tax rate x ratio. Data from State of NJ Treasury.
- 3. SAT scores are based on a total score of 600-2400. The SAT test consists of three categories: math, verbal and essay with a possible score of 600 points for each category to give a possible total score of 2400.
- 4. The high school with the highest total SAT score for each town was used in the graph. In some cases, the highest score is a vocational school.